John McDonnell MP, LEAP Chair, said:
"These shocking figures demonstrate that all the talk of 'green shoots of economic recovery' is absolutely meaningless for the nearly hundred thousand people joining the dole queue every month.
"The onus is now squarely on the shoulders of the Government to act decisively to halt the rising unemploymenbt and offer, particularly the young, real alternatives of meaningful employment and training.
"The Government needs a three-pronged policy response:
- Direct intervention in companies and sectors where job losses are moutning, with subsidies to keep people in work in return for a stake in the business;
- Stepping up the direct Government investment in Green New Deal infrastructure projects to stimulate new employment;
- Guaranteed training and education places based on living wage grant for the unemployed".
- As LEAP has pointed out before, Jobcentre Plus is struggling to process the new claims, and each month the previous month's figures are revised up; and
- The increased conditionality in the Jobseeker's Allowance regime means more people are being excluded from claiming